Sunday, January 15, 2012

Writing to Congress

For a long time I rarely voted and I certainly never wrote to my Congressmen. I figured, what's the point? Each member of Congress serves so many people that my individual opinion surely won't matter. But a couple of years ago I realized that's a really stupid opinion. Looking around the world today and back through history we are so lucky to live in a (reasonably) functional democracy. But if we take it for granted we will lose it. Perhaps not to communists and tyrants but to greedy corporations or war-mongering politicians. There are plenty of people who stand to gain a lot by encroaching on democracy. Now I see the only way to overcome their lobbyists and super-PACs is to be part of an engaged electorate. They may have the money but we're the ones who vote for our leaders and we're the ones who can vote them out. So in the meantime we need to remind our elected officials that they serve their constituents not their campaign donors.

[Shameless plug] I just wrote to my Congressmen to vote against SOPA, I encourage you to do the same.

https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173

No comments:

Post a Comment